Adding Fractions in the form a/b + b/a.
There are many different fractions that you will encounter in math. If you see one with the setup a/b + b/a then the trick below will help you solve it in seconds.
Look at the math problem 3/8 + 8/3= ?
- Find the difference in the numbers.
- 8 - 3 = 5
- Square the result
- 52 = 25.
- 25 is the numerator.
- Multiply the two numbers.
- 8 * 3 = 24
- 24 is the denominator.
- If the fraction is a proper fraction, write down 2. This is the whole number added to the proper fraction.
- If the fraction is improper, turn it into a mixed number and add 2 to the whole number.
- 25/24 is improper so we convert it to 1 1/24.
- We add 2 which gives us 3 1/24
ANSWER is 3 and 1/24.
Watch the math video below for a detailed explanation!